426 articles in category
Page 1 of 15, Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 [Next]
- The Great Indian Drive
Driving in India is like the theory of Karma – do your best and leave the rest to your insurance company.
- A Debate Over Climate Change
Some future trajectories for the human race in terms of climate change
- Diesel Pricing Decontrol - Will Diesel Car Demand Decrease?
The Government says it is committed to decontrol price of diesel
- Teaching Work & Wealth Values to Children
I'm teaching my kids about wealth and investments. What are you guys doing with your kids?
- Bank Risks - Show Me The Money And Who Owns It
Bank risk taking varies positively with the comparative power of shareholders within the corporate governance structure of each bank.
- Making Sense of the European Crisis
The simplest way out of a debt crisis is to inflate your way out.
- Microsoft, Apple, Google - The Battle for Domination
The iPad will be no different, and Apple will continue to weave its net of circumvention yet again.
- Why China Needs Double Digit Growth, Part II
It is clear that neither can China afford to beggar the US nor can it ignore it.
- Why China Needs Double Digit Growth, Part I
The one thing that bites a country that has a lopsided trade balance towards exports is the currency exchange rate.
- Tag me a Price
Nothing in life comes without a price attached to it not even life itself.
- IT Outsourcing Can Actually Increase a Firm’s IT Spend
IT Outsourcing is not a panacea for reducing costs, it can do other things, but not reduce costs
- India and Pakistan - Future Scenarios
Can such an eventuality occur in the Indian Subcontinent?
- The Robin Hood Tax - A Crock of Brown Organic Matter
The Robin Hood Tax needs to be thought out more. Perhaps withdrawn.
- The Children of India: A Volunteer Travel Experience
I became involved with a nonprofit based in Austin called The Miracle Foundation, which manages orphanages in India.
- Book Review: Complicit by Mark Gilbert
A conspiracy of greed among bankers, investors, rating agencies, and regulators has imperiled everyone's financial future.
- My Name is Khan Mumbai Release - Free Speech or Free Market?
Ratings were the primary interest, not freedom of speech or taking a collective stand against divisive/undemocratic intimidation.
- Free Countries and Lower Cost of Debt
The more the political rights, the more free the country, the lower are the costs of debt for firms.
- China - Censored Growth
China is certainly miles ahead economically and militarily, but India and Indians have their hearts in place.
- China - No More Gimmicks
In recent days, a lot of voices are being heard warning about the Chinese Bubble.
- BRIC Economics - Peering Into The Future
Predictions are powerful because when they are made by influential people they become self-fulfilling prophecie
- Haagen-Dazs - Ice Cream or Creaming The Indian Hide?
The Haagen-Dazs fiasco has implications, both for Foreign Companies and for "Emerging" India.
- Experiments with Truth
Was the Bhoodan Movement "the largest peaceful redistribution of wealth in the human experience"? Do the math.
- Where the BRICs Stand Today
How China, India, Brazil and Russia fare today eight years after the Goldman Sachs' BRIC report - a subjective assessment
- Soft Infrastructure Development: Role of Private Sector
Soft infrastructure systems precede hard infrastructure and are engines of social transformation.
- Change, or the Climate Will Change You!
India needs to gain the strategic and the moral high ground in this game to be a recognized leader of the world. Can we do
- Nationalization of Indian Banks and the Financial Crisis
Stay away from centralization. Let there be diversity. That is what protects us.
- Chinese Checkers
India has always been an out-of-touch, moralizing country saddled with the morality of Gandhi and the idealisations of Nehru.
- Will Manmohan Get An Economic Nobel?
We are happy this way; this Nobel is quite inconsistent with Eastern values
- How to Make a Mockery of Austerity
Why should there be an austerity drive? Why not have a performance-based pay structure for Ministers/MPs?
- Memories of 9/11
Over the years some people ask why is 9/11 so important, when innocent people all over the world succumb to bombs all the time.
- Dying Rivers: Global Thirst
'Where has all the water gone, one time passing?' Where have so many people come from?
- Delhi Needs Dr. Shetty
One short touch of inspiration and a person finds his goal in life.
- Climate Change - Opportunities for Change
With urban areas becoming more and more vulnerable, migration will not be a long-term solution.
- Book Review: Imagining India by Nandan Nilekani
The books mentions the ideas that worked, that are in progress and that should be explored but there is a lot more that Nandan can
- PSU Divestment in India - The Rocky Path Ahead
When the Government does want to disinvest, for sectors of industry where the Government should have a zero role, it should get optimum return.
- Regional Movies - Saving Grace Of April 2009
It is solely the loss of the daily wagers. They have nowhere to go or find an alternative vocation.
- G20 Declares $1.1 Trillion Agreement - The End of The Washington Consensus
The age of regulatory capitalism may have dawned, with the IMF as a gatekeeper for the struggling world economy.
- Lights Out at the Earth Hour
TERI has been doing all this green stuff long before it became a mantra for the rest of the world.
- The National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme and its Implications
The lasting legacy of the Manmohan Singh government may lie tucked away in a legislation passed in 2005.
- America's Foolish CEOs: Medco's Dave Snow Gets The First Award
I think it has a lot to do with poor policies and oversight, individual greed, and last, but not the least, stupid CEOs running corporate
- America's Healthcare Crisis, Part I
Whose responsibility is it anyway?
- Frankenstein or Frankincense Crops?
What do you do for your country's food security? plant GM crops or go rent some farmland in another country? or both?
- The Grand Bailout- Part 2
The Democrats in DC are lowering taxes while the Republicans in California are raising them
- Nations Turn to Barter To Secure Food
Bartering is being used but is a hideous economic mechanism, filled with hidden pitfalls and costs
- The Grand Bailout
For an obese nation, eating humble pie may be the right diet for a healthy, wealthy life ahead
- California is Becoming the Pakistan of the USA
The financial challenges of managing a state like California
- Bimaru States In India
The bimaru millstone states around India's neck
- UK Maths Failures 'cost £2.4bn'
Not learning mathematics has an economic cost. In the case of the UK, its £2.4 Billion
- Risk Manager Role With Afghanistan International Bank
Why just an advertisement for a risk manager for an Afghan Bank is a small but good step?
- Action Sociology: Human Rights with Sanitation
Pathakji has transcended anger and hatred to make a difference, a big difference, through social entrepreneurship.
- Shareholder's Dissatisfaction at Satyam's Board
Actions trying to benefit the promoters
- Book Review: Maria Misra’s Business, Race, and Politics in British India
Managing agencies had so much contempt for Indians and their lack of ‘character’ that they refused to Indianise
- Citibank - The New State Bank of America
Welcome to Citibank, the new State Bank of America.
- Swiss Bank Accounts
Ensure the demise of the poor and the few remaining rich can have the earth to themselves
- Ending Coercive Land Acquisition - Creating Options
If this method is so simple, why hasn’t it been tried already for land acquisition?Somik Raha
OPINION | Politics: US, Politics: India, Politics: Governance, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Asia, Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Philosophy, Culture: Essay, Culture: Education, Culture: Bureaucracy, BizTech: Entrepreneurship, BizTech: Economics, BizTech: Development
- Chandrayaan-I: Money Down the Drain or Time to Celebrate?
How can you quantify the benefits and the advantages of being at the vanguard of space research and exploration?
- Bubbles and The Current Financial Crisis
Is there an end to the current financial bloodbath that is plaguing the world markets
- Pakistan's "Macabre" Economics vs. Micawber's Economics
The next world war (or its variation - "Clash of Civilizations") will not be won with bombs but by sheer economic expertise.
- Cops, Drug Smugglers, and Picturesque Himachal
Alongside Goa, Rajasthan and Himachal are fast becoming major transit areas for movement of drugs within and outside India.
- The American Financial Crisis — Dejà vu?
Is what’s happening on Wall Street giving us a sense of dejà vu? A peep into the future for the global middle class citizen!