Media: Music - Classical (Eastern)
19 articles in category
- Suprabhatam – The Dawn Prayer
On an impulse today, I looked up the lyrics of The Dawn Prayer - and found myself captivated.
- Movie Review: Leaving Home
How does one slot Indian Ocean, the band that is the subject of this feature-length production?
- Happy Independence Day - Musical Montages
For those of us who grew up in this era, these montages are unforgettable.
- A Counter Culture of Courage
With the culture of apathy being the prevailing theme, displaying daring and courage is living by a lonely counter culture.
- Baabul Moraa - The Original Inheritance of Loss
My loved ones will become strangers/ The innermost portals of my home will be unreachable
- Thyagabrahmam - Celebrating the Great Saint Thyagaraja
Irrespective of the seniority or popularity of musicians, every musician pays tribute to Thyagaraja by singing his Pancharathna Krithis
- Movie Review: Khoya Khoya Chand
In Khoya Khoya Chanda (KKC), writer-director Sudhir Mishra paints a picture of Bollywood as it was in the late 50s and 60s.Aditi Nadkarni
REVIEW | Culture: History, Culture: Films, Media: Theatre, Media: Television, Media: Music - Hindi, Media: Music - Ghazals, Media: Music - Classical (Eastern), Media: Films - Hindi, Media: Films - Bollywood, Media: Films, Media: Film - Directors, Media: Film - Actors, Culture: Desi
- Politics in Pakistan: Beating the Same Tabla But Still No Guinness Record
Jagjit Singh Batalvi tapped his way into the record books, fingering his tabla for a fifth straight day.temporal
OPINION | Culture: Society, Culture: The Writing Life, Culture: Women, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Elections, Politics: Governance, Politics: Pakistan, Politics: World, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Men, Culture: Language, Media: Events, Media: Journalism, Media: Music - Classical (Eastern), Media: Newspapers, Media: Television, Media: Radio, Culture: Bananafish, Culture: Desi, Culture: Humor
- Concert Review: Fireflies Festival of Music, Bangalore
Music, even if all is not comprehensible, will also fill the seats, if it fulfills at least the needs of the ear and the mind.
- Concert Review: Ustad Amjad Ali Khan & Sons
The three complemented each other perfectly, even though at moments it was clear why the maestro was way ahead of his sons
- A Tribute to Pandit Bhimsen Joshi on His 85th Birthday
He has set his own distinctive style to his music and relentless riyaaz has made his renditions seem smooth and effortless.
- Movie Review: Savalee - A Sensitive Marathi Film
Savalee is the story of a veteran classical singer Ramabai Shirodkar and her daughter Sanika.
- Music Review: Vishwa Mohan Bhatt Classics For Pleasure
How many other idiot Westerners do you know that would dare review a disc of Classical Indian Music on a site like Desicritics?
- Desicritics Editors' Picks - August 01 - 31, 2006
Highlighting some articles from August that you may have missed.
- Concert Review: An Evening in Red Fort – When Sufi Went Phuss
Purani Dilli, Ramadan night; brightly-lit Laal Quila; Pakistani pop stars; Sufi concert; October breeze – and yet the evening backfired! What went wrong?
- Desicritics Editors' Picks - July 24- July 30,2006
Highlighting some articles that you may have missed inadvertently.
- Kutcheri Musings
If my sleeping wasn't bad enough, my snoring was the last straw.
- An Ode to Raga Bhatiyar
Raga Bhatiyar: a homicidal raga with a repressed childhood.
- "Newer" Voices in Hindustani Classical Music
I suspect there are many new, not so well-known vocalists who aren't getting the support, publicity and encouragement they need.