314 articles in category
Page 1 of 11, Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 [Next]
- Sense And Sensibility _ Are We Losing It?
It is high time we realize that we are not differentiated by our religion, language, political boundary, faith but are united by the single thread
- Photo Essay: Westminster School Russian & Indian War Memorial
An extraordinary monument to Westminster School Alumni who died for King and Country
- Photography Times: Butterfly Eye-to-Eye
Macro photography requires getting as close to the subject as possible.
- It Shouldn't Hurt To Be A Child
Who is a teacher or a principal of a staff member to take away a child’s dignity?
- Teaching Work & Wealth Values to Children
I'm teaching my kids about wealth and investments. What are you guys doing with your kids?
- Book Review: Heartbreaks and Dreams - Yesterday Once More
While stories about IIT abound on bookshelves today, Heartbreaks and Dreams is the sole representative of the female perspective
- Entrance Exams Under the Weather
These incidents have cast a cloud of doubt over the credibility of the IITJEE and the CAT.
- Will the Higher Education Bill Help The Education Sector?
Given these constraints, a lot of critics have rightly pointed out that only the B and C grade universities from the western world will be
- Indian Union Cabinet Passes the Foreign Education Bill
Plenty of opposition before the bill proceeds
- Photography Times: Green Snake
Looking through the viewfinder at close to the entire focal length of my lens, it seemed as if he was staring straight into my eyes.
- Beautiful Mathematics in Control Theory
What is common between stimulus packages, launch vehicles, robots and inverted pendulums?
- AMU's Suspension of (Allegedly) Gay Professor - Unconstitutional
The university’s decision to suspend the professor is in violation of both the court’s decision and its central tenet of inclusiveness.
- Liberate Our Students From Sexual Repression
Students from Hindi and Marathi medium schools are basically unexposed to the ideas of Individuality, free thought, and freedom from repressed sexuality.
- Making Universities Independent Makes Them More Productive
Let my universities go, paraphrasing old man Moses.
- Focus is the Key
Multi tasking is in, but it is a myth. We just do one thing at a time, fast. The conscious policy of focus has advantages
- A Magic Pill to Eradicate Corruption
This is more or less, briefly, roughly, approximately, the sum and substance of our current view of corruption in public life, in India.
- IIM CAT Snafu Continues - Mismanagement and Inconvenience
The first online CAT for the IIMs presented a poor showing for the institutes and the company conducting the test, Prometric.
- Soft Infrastructure Development: Role of Private Sector
Soft infrastructure systems precede hard infrastructure and are engines of social transformation.
- When Dyscalculia Strikes
Its a vortex that sucks the person in and panic steps in, aggravating the situation further.
- What Have the IITs Done For India?
Tell me one major thing that has come out of IITs that has helped India at the grassroots.
- Technology in Education
How does this software impact/ redefine the role of a teacher-student interaction?
- The Ways of the Mahatma
His lifestyle & principles seem more relevant and real, and an appropriate method to counter the madness that has taken over the world.
- Alpha Tau Kappa Tau: Fraternities and Sororities in India
The largest fraternity/ sorority in India with millions of past and present brothers and sisters
- Climate Change - Opportunities for Change
With urban areas becoming more and more vulnerable, migration will not be a long-term solution.
- Looking for History in All The Wrong Places
Jameson viewed postmodernism as a cultural formation that accompanied globalization and multinational capitalism.
- Art & Technology: A Decade After I Took That Humanities Course
Like a good professor is wont to do, he smiled, and assigned me an essay on "Art and Technology: A decade after that Humanities course".
- Book Review: Forgotten Wars
The End of Britain's Asian Empire
- School Mints
Schools have become mints - minting money ruthlessly.
- Working in New Age Groups to find Inner Light
Small Groups around the world are seeking the New Light,new alternate ways of living:through psychotherapy,strengthening relationship with Nature,& meditation
- A New Intelligence: The Only Hope for this World
The hope faor a better world would not come from 'chronic mind chatter' that ails humankind today leading to wars and crime.
- Forgive Kasab! Hate his Sin, Not the Sinner!
A man, you and I, are worst monsters in our personal lives! Let's not forget that! Don't condone the Sin, but condone the Sinner, let
- Dr.Shah Rukh Khan Gets His Ph.D - Dilwale Doctorate Le Jayenge
The University of Bedforshire conferred an honorary PhD upon the King Khan, making him Dr.Khan
- Revisiting the Pakistani Grand Narrative
The national narrative is fused with a prescribed religious bent that, just like any other major grand ideology, insists on its own universality and absoluteness.
- Why Balu Loves Bees
I must remember to do an English spell check just in case Balu or Kavya Shivashankar is peeking.
- The Individual in a Collective World
We have a finite definition of "who we are", culturally that are obvious. However, there is an unseen realm.
- Purpose of Education: Macaulay's Ghost Smiles
A well rounded education gives us the knowledge, skill, attitude and an ability to be a learner forever.
- Shortcut English
Probably I'm old school, and I'm not ashamed to be so, but whatever happened to correct and complete spelling, capital letters, and punctuation?
- Book Review: The Google Way
How one company is revolutionizing management as we know it
- Schools, Children, and "Personal Fiefdoms"
The wipe-the-slate-clean approach would take far more political courage than can be mustered in the current environment.
- Arvind Krishna Mehrotra: From Lahore to Oxford by Way of Allahabad
The dark horse and a new entrant in the race is Arvind Krishna Mehrotra, born in Lahore and a Professor at Allahabad University.
- Language Abused!
What depresses me is the ill-usage of my mother tongue.
- British Visas for Foreign Students - The Hidden Politics
Most international students in the UK fail to find employment commensurate with their qualifications, experience and abilities when they graduate.
- Coaching Classes - The Sweat Shops of Education
The entrance tests to IIT and else where were conceived to evaluate aptitude as even more than merit.
- Why Does Ragging Happen?
Next, I would blame the parents who don't believe their children or don't care.
- Poessay: Honesty and Trust
When things do not affect us directly we can afford to be brutally truthful
- Educating our Kids - The Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan
Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan was launched in 2001 to universalize and improve the quality of elementary education in India.
- Girls, Women and the Legacy of Mahatma Phule
Mahatma Jyotiba Phule and his wife Savitribai were remarkable personalities, especially for their times.
- India's Post-Independence Fight For Freedom
Maybe we started taking our precious freedom for granted and needed to be reminded that we simply cannot.Aditi Nadkarni
OPINION | Politics: Terrorism, Politics: War, Culture: City Life, Culture: Desi, Culture: Education, Culture: History, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Rural, Culture: Religion, Culture: Urban, Politics: Reservations, Politics: Religion, Politics: Asia, Politics: Censorship, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Elections, Politics: Empire, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Governance, Politics: India, Politics: Laws, Politics: Peace, Culture: Women
- March Ahead
No one can satisfactorily explain why 'exams'?
- Why Do Vice-Chancellors Fail At Aligarh Muslim University?
Why VC's dont work in AMU, some thoughts
- UK Maths Failures 'cost £2.4bn'
Not learning mathematics has an economic cost. In the case of the UK, its £2.4 Billion
- Action Sociology: Human Rights with Sanitation
Pathakji has transcended anger and hatred to make a difference, a big difference, through social entrepreneurship.
- Terrorism - What's Under The Surface?
Terrorism is only a symbol of the sort of world we live inUma Ranganathan
OPINION | Politics: India, Politics: Corruption, Media: Newspapers, Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Relationships, Culture: Essay, Culture: Education, Culture: City Life, BizTech: Globalization, BizTech: Environment, BizTech: Development, BizTech: Consumers, Politics: War on Terror
- Children, Adults, and Other Animals
Asian children are pampered to an extent that may be described as ‘unhealthy.’
- Children With Learning Problems - It's the Schools, not the Kids, Stupid!
A staggering 20 million Indian children probably have learning disabilities. But schools and teachers are clueless.
- My Friend, the Landlord
A remarkable woman who is transforming the hearts of Indian landlords in the hinterland