47 articles in category
Page 1 of 2, Go to page: 1, 2 [Next]
- Movie Review: Leaving Home
How does one slot Indian Ocean, the band that is the subject of this feature-length production?
- Concert Review: Dischordian + Gillian Grassi - Cafe Goa
The neighbors are complaining. You wouldn’t think an acoustic band could make much noise. But apparently we can.
- Mxolisi Nyezwa: Winner of the Thomas Pringle National Award for Poetry, South Africa 2009
Mxolisi Nyezwa wins the National Thomas Pringle Award for Poetry in South Africa
- Chief Justice of India Summons CJ of Karnataka
Serious charges of land grabbing and other "irregularities" levelled against P.D. Dinakaran, Chief Justice of Karnataka, Bangalore.
- Travel Report: Korba Street Festival - Heliopolis, Cairo
What I got to see, kind of reminded me a bit of the Kala Ghoda festival in Bombay, but just a little bit.
- Mysore Dussehra: Thank God, it's over
The point here is, my niece was denied admission even after compliance with the handbag ban.
- Mysore Utsav: Initiative to Counter Sarkari Dasara?
Whether or not the threat of black flags impacts the utsav proceedings the flag-wavers can count on some TV coverage for themselves.
- Kalyanji Anandji - Relevant Legends
Kalyanji Anandji, legendary Bollywood composers are still giving concerts & are relevant today more than ever...
- Misrallaneous: Flamenca - A Marriage of Spanish and Oriental Music
Wonderful fusion of Arabic and Spanish sounds.
- Shada Hassoun is an Iraqi Idol
The "Daughter of Mesopotamia," wins Idol-like show by a landslide. What does this mean for Iraq?
- American Idol: The Survival of Sanjaya
An Idol has to be a lot more than just a singer
- Remembering 26th March, 1971
Remembering one of the darkest days of the subcontinent.
- Concert Review: Iron Maiden Rocks Bangalore
The moment we had all been waiting for had arrived once the "Gods of Metal" took stage.
- American Idol: I'm Not Voting for Sanjaya
I’m not going to vote for Sanjaya Malakar’s boring pipes and I’m not less of an Indian for saying so.
- Music Review: Jefferson Airplane High Flying Bird: Live At The Monterey Festival
"a perfect example of what the world is coming to"
- Music Review: Bye Bye Sonny Sonny Boy Williamson, Eric Clapton, Eric Burdon, and Jimmy Page
Bye Bye Sonny is a great addition to any music collection.
- DVD Review: Kitka & Davka In Concert: Old And New World Jewish Music
This music could make stones weep.
- DVD Review: We Are The Future Various Artists
Buying the disc is not only an investment in good music, but also an investment in the world's future generations.
- Concert Review: Wolfgang Haffner's Jazz-Rock Concert in Bangalore
The end result was explosive, as the concert promised.
- Interview: Thomas Ruf Of Ruf Records: Part Two
I don’t care how profitable a project potentially could be – It's about the quality between you and your fellows while you walk.
- Interview: Thomas Ruf of Ruf Records, Part 1
Those old blues guys fitted my social consciousness – they were underdogs that made it through their music.
- Ruf Records: Keeping The Blues Alive
Ruf Records are this year's recipient of the Keeping The Blues Alive award for Record Companies.
- Michael Jackson - King of Flops - Disappointment at The World Music Awards
Yesterday's superstar simply can't manage to get his groove right.
- Concert Review: Roger Waters Undiluted
Roger Waters live at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View, CA. Suffice it to say, he left us all comfortably numb.
- Music Review: From The Big Apple To The Big Easy
From The Big Apple To The Big Easy does the remarkable - it captures the spirit of New Orleans.
- Concert Review: An Evening in Red Fort – When Sufi Went Phuss
Purani Dilli, Ramadan night; brightly-lit Laal Quila; Pakistani pop stars; Sufi concert; October breeze – and yet the evening backfired! What went wrong?
- Concert Review: The Who, Winnipeg (October 3, 2006)
Showing their age, but performing admirably, The Who rocked 10,000 fans in Winnipeg after a 30-year return.
- Concert Review: The Wailin' Jennys, Winnipeg, Canada (September 22, 2006)
Favorites of Garrison Keillor, the Wailin' Jennys performed a rare hometown performance in Winnipeg, tripling their ticket sales.
- Concert Review: Celtic Frost, Winnipeg, Canada (September 25, 2006)
Black-gothic-symphonic-thrash metal pioneers Celtic Frost return to form after a long hiatus.
- Concert Review: The Weakerthans, Winnipeg, Canada (September 16, 2006)
Solid show by one of Canada's top indie rock bands, who are refreshingly focused on lyrics and melody.
- DVD Review: Bad Brains Live At CBGB 1982 Too Wild For Nostalgia
As far as I'm concerned we had it far better than you'll ever have.
- DVD Review: Bob Brozman Live In Germany
Listening to Bob Brozman play guitar is a wonder, watching him play is a revelation
- Music Review: Live From Austin Tx. Steve Earle DVD
There are some truly remarkable performances, like this one of Steve Earle, that should not be hidden away.
- Music Review: John Hiatt Live From Austin Tx. DVD
...slip this DVD in the machine, and be reminded how much fun rock and roll can be.
- U2: Over the Years
U2, the Irish Rock Band has grown to become a cultural icon. This is an attempt to summarise what their music has been all about
- DVD Review: Jimmy Buffett Live At Wrigley Field
Never before have so many people been filmed in Wrigley Field wearing such a loud collection of clothing or straw hats.
- Review: Day 3 - Winnipeg Folk Festival (July 8, 2006)
The Grande Mothers, members of the Mothers of Invention, were a highlight for me, along with Sisters Euclid and Ireland's Flook.
- Review: Day 2 - Winnipeg Folk Festival (July 7, 2006)
Day 2 highlights included seeing San Francisco's That 1 Guy and Minnesota's Low at the alternative tent.
- Concert Review: Wilco, Winnipeg (July 1, 2006)
Fans were treated to seeing a magnificent, unmistakably unique band, firing on all cylinders, plus a superb support act.
- Concert Review: Paquito D'Rivera Quintet, Winnipeg (June 23, 2006)
An evening of Latin-influenced jazz with the ledgendary Paquito D'Rivera, a child prodigy, and Canadian bassist Robert Occhipinti.
- McCoy Tyner Trio, June 22, 2006, Winnipeg
Finest jazz trio that I've seen in years. Elder stateman pianist McCoy Tyner remains a vital force in jazz.
- Concert Review: Bachman and Cummings, June 17, Winnipeg, Canada
They may never tour again as The Guess Who, but they're still packing 'em in as Bachman & Cummings.
- Concert Review: Bright Eyes, June 10, Winnipeg, Canada
A mostly 20-something and under crowd were wowed by the boy-wonder from Omaha; absence of merchandising was puzzling.
- Desicritics Editors' Picks - May 29- June 04
And do not pay heed to rumors that praising certain poems by a small time poet would get you here.
- Concert Review: Summer Streakin' With The Rock N' Dolls
Judging from the number of people who showed up I would say that the event was a definite success.
- Concert Review: Alice Cooper, May 16, 2006, Winnipeg, Canada
Not ready for Vegas, Alice Cooper remains a mesmerizing, effortlessly brilliant performer, touring with sharp, young sidemen.
- Concert Review: The Strokes, Friday, May 12, 2006, Winnipeg, Canada
Infectious rock'n'roll show from a band who appear to wanna be sedated.