635 articles in category
Page 1 of 22, Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 [Next]
- Stop "Harming" Me!
No one can be "harmed" by a painting or a book. Those who claim that something offends them should just learn to deal with it!
- In Defence of Secularism
Secularism supports the individual against the pressure of the group and the individual conscience against the dogma of the group.
- Liberal Indians, Stand Up
It’s time to stand up for our convictions, for our liberal values.
- The Philosophy of Freedom
Before I came to love free markets, I fell in love with something else first - FREEDOM.
- Looking Afresh at Kashmir - Intrinsic, Prudential or Systemic?
Every academic argument made so far has already been made before, and tried in some way, shape or form.
- Independence Day - Just Another 24 Hours
Are we valuing our independence? For that matter, did we ever value it to begin with?
- Why We Will Never Let Kashmir Go
India is the young Gir lion, roaring its might to the world, its end nowhere in sight.
- Is India Still Socialist?
This implies that a certain vision that animated the use of the word socialism is bankrupt merely because of 20 years of reforms.
More than 77% of our country's population lives on less than 20 Rs per day. This is not any...
- Right to Information, State Accountability, and Wikileaks
There is natural tension between the State and the public on the question of transparency. Authoritarian states by definition limit access to information.
- International Violence against Women Act Faces Stiff Opposition From Unexpected Quarter
Funding of 1 Billion dollars under I-VAWA will lead to gross Civil Liberties Violations.
- Security Is A Comedy In India
The death of 140 odd passengers of a Mumbai bound train early Friday made us revisit the question all over...
- Abuse by Police and Deaths in Judicial Custody.
An Award winning American Journalist was brutally tortured by Indian Police.
- Poetry: Maqbool Fida Hussain - A Qatari Citizen
a nation stayed speechless / a ninety-six years old / became a foreigner / to himself.
- My Name is Khan Mumbai Release - Free Speech or Free Market?
Ratings were the primary interest, not freedom of speech or taking a collective stand against divisive/undemocratic intimidation.
- Shiv Sena vs An Actor
An analysis of the time Shiv Sena went head to head against reason and lost.
- It's Cool To Be Free
Liberalism is NOT a dirty word
- Free Countries and Lower Cost of Debt
The more the political rights, the more free the country, the lower are the costs of debt for firms.
- China - Censored Growth
China is certainly miles ahead economically and militarily, but India and Indians have their hearts in place.
- The World Awakens to China
These seem to point to a new belligerent attitude of the Chinese who are ready to flex their muscles to indicate that they have arrived
- Women’s Reservation Bill: Denying Citizens Rights to Contest in Elections
Men will lose their choice to contest in elections and democracy will be crippled, if the constitution is amended.
- Freedom of Speech or Responsibility to Do No Harm?
What is more important - our right to freedom of speech or our responsibility to cause no harm
- Indian Police - Protectors or Perpetrators?
Life in India. Who is accountable?
- The Democracy Delusion
The claim of India being a functional democracy stands on a sand pool.
- Bad News at My Doorstep - Surprises After a Target Shoot
No rest for the wicked! A long day at meetings and target practice - and more work when I get home!!
- Telangana and KCR's Fast - Gandhi's Legacy
In India, fasting as a political tool was legitimized by Gandhi.
- Baluchistan - The Forgotten Cause
Indian media reports about the Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipe line through Baluchistan have glossed over the atrocities being committed there.
- Unforgettable Kabul
No matter, the war-torn history of Kabul, its ruination, what delights the soul with its optimism are the kites of Kabul.
- Nationalization of Indian Banks and the Financial Crisis
Stay away from centralization. Let there be diversity. That is what protects us.
- Release Kobad Ghandy Now
Whose disease infested body would crawl out of a hut only once to share the last sun, people like Kobad Ghandy would forever be there.
- Lest we Forget - Truth and Reconciliation in Kandhamal
Our Lord teaches us not to hate. We do not hate our enemies, but Fear is real, especially in Orissa’s Kandhamal district.
- The Shadow of the Great Game: Partition of India & British Strategic Interests
Lacking the effervescence of bubbly champagne his book can be best described as a vapid rethreading of other people's books.
- Kashmir: UN Plebiscite is the Need of the Hour
Till date, we have not kept the promise made to the Kashmiri people to hold a UN Plebiscite in Kashmir to allow them their right
- Soul Search Or Strip Search?
The brouhaha over a US airline detaining Shah Rukh Khan. Is it worth it?
- Jaswant, Jinnah Jam
Jaswant Singh "gets expelled for writing a book, and Varun stays put, for spewing venom!"
- Gays Not Allowed - Freedom and Equality
The gays of Indian descent should call for the boycott of the India Day Parade and hold their own.
- Iran - People Getting Killed in Prisons
It is the action of this force in the prisons that has become very controversial in the last few days
- Forgive Kasab! Hate his Sin, Not the Sinner!
A man, you and I, are worst monsters in our personal lives! Let's not forget that! Don't condone the Sin, but condone the Sinner, let
- Nelson Mandela at 91 - The World's Greatest Living Leader
Nelson Mandela, the world's greatest living leader turned 91 today.
- Observer Cronkite Dead: "And that's the way it is."
“Our job is only to hold up the mirror — to tell and show the public what has happened.”
- Homosexuality is Not a Crime Anymore
India took 150 years to reverse a law that criminalized an activity which is now considered natural though different from the majority point of view.
- Judgement on IPC Section 377: Counterpoints
Liberals and gay organisations are using the wrong method to engage in a conversation with the rest of society.
- Delhi - Love Under The Rainbow
Today I am proud of being from Delhi - the capital of India where to love under the rainbow is perfectly legal.
- Delhi High Court Legalizes Homosexuality In India
In a historical ruling today, Delhi High Court decriminalized homosexuailty in India
- Delhi High Court Decriminalizes Homosexuality
The Delhi High Court gave succour to everyone today by agreeing that Section 377 was unfairly stated
- Spain's Audiencia Nacional To Be Reined In By Parliament
Not surprisingly, the Audiencia Nacional has been the darling of human rights activists worldwide.
- Will Mousavi Go The Tsvangirai Way?
Like Tsvangirai, Mousavi is likely to strike a deal with the evil regime he was once a part of.
- Lalgarh, Is it Liberated?
Lalgarh remains a burning symbol of Adivasi defiance towards police exploitation and rape.
- After Cairo, Will Obama Back Up His Words With Actions?
Obama is good at making speeches, but can he translate his words into actions?
- Racist - Them or Us or All of Us?
As Indians we're exposed to such a wide variety of languages and such rich culture, and should technically be the most tolerant, but this doesn't
- Is The Demand For Eelam Valid? A Response to Tamilnet's Question
Just as the ends don't justify the means, the means also don't justify the ends.
- Dr. George Tiller Shot Dead and the Abortion Debate Continues
Dr. Tiller’s murder will make no difference to the abortion debate
- Proposition 8: Disposition Hate
It is unfair that two adults require the approval of an outside world to be in a committed relationship because their sexuality does not appeal
- Voice Of Dissent
Why should I walk this line, that you have set for me?
- Binayak Sen Is Released on Bail: Dada, Baritey Phirlen
Dr. Binayak Sen came back to his family today.
- India's Nepal Policy Needs an Urgent Course Correction
India doesn't seem to care whether democracy and parliamentary supremacy are established in Nepal
- Sri Lankan Tamils
Sri Lanka should create an environment where Tamils regain their identity, their pride, and their culture.
- Sri Lanka: An Opportunity for Love
An obscene display of celebration will only rub into the wounds of the Tamil people
- Velupillai Prabhakaran Dead?
With Prabhakaran dead, there is a very good chance of peace returning to Sri Lanka .
- Passing Through: Visiting Troy Davis’s Hometown with Martina Correia
We are being told in this country that it is not unconstitutional to execute somebody who is innocent.