54 articles in category
Page 1 of 2, Go to page: 1, 2 [Next]
- The Obsession with Cleanliness
Are we, in the developed world, moving towards a state of unnecessary cleanliness?
- India : 85th on Global Corruption Index
India's Central Vigilance Commission has taken umbrage at a recent report of Transparency International the global corruption tracking watch dog.
- Children, Adults, and Other Animals
Asian children are pampered to an extent that may be described as ‘unhealthy.’
- Attrition And New Recruits
Especially new joinees leave the firm, a little after the embryonic stage of their job career cycle.
- Do You Know Your ABCDs?
While living in India some youngsters ape the Western lifestyle and upon arriving in the United States label those born and raised here as "confused".
- Age-Based Reservation in Indian Politics
I wish we followed the policy of sacking politicians on age and non-performance basis.
- Remembering Babri Masjid
15 years on, I hear many opinions on what should be done.
- Spam Struck
"Would you like to add 8 inches or more to your penis?"Aditi Nadkarni
SATIRE | Culture: Men, Culture: Personal History, Media: Films - Erotica, Culture: The Writing Life, Culture: Survey, Culture: Society, Culture: Satire, Culture: Poetry, Culture: Humor, Culture: City Life, Culture: Consumerism, Media: Magazines, Media: Journalism, Media: Internet, Media: Blogs, Culture: Relationships
- Are Women Leaders Any Different?
If women bring more sensitivity to human needs then we ought to be having more women in leadership.
- How To Deal With Surveys
Some tips on how to deal with so many contradictory surveys making the rounds
- Job Satisfaction: Happy Is What Happy Does
Somewhere along the line this adventurous sentiment gets replaced by adult sensibilities.Aditi Nadkarni
OPINION | BizTech: Entrepreneurship, Culture: Survey, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Society, Culture: Relationships, Culture: Personal History, Culture: Hobbies, Culture: Family, Culture: Education, Culture: Desi, Culture: City Life, Culture: Children, Culture: Arts, BizTech: Innovation
- You're Never Too Old to Blog
Elderly folk generally stay away from the computer, saying they can’t get a hang of it and that it is too late to try.
- Traditions and Anniversaries
We need traditions and practices that are birthed in the present but can grow with us into the future and prove to be effective guides
- Is Mother's Day Only A Hallmark Holiday?
A Mothers' Day Special
- Keeping One’s Cool With Nimbu Pani
Other than providing a lip smacking luscious taste, the economics part of it beats the price rise.
- Alternate Schooling in India
An alternate school is possible when we move away from the concept of emphasizing only literacy and transition into education.
- Handy Tips for Financial Planning
Getting rich is in your hands, nobody else's . Get Rich Or Die Trying.
- Boxing Day Earthquakes
Christmas 2006 will be remembered for seismic as well as festive events.
- Medical Procedure Outsourcing: Truly Alternative Medicine
The practice of medicine is also subject to the tidal shift in international economics as a consequence of Globlalisation.
- Are Indian Youth The Happiest People In The World?
All these forms of activism convey one message that the young no longer want to be recipients of change but leaders of change.
- Top Five PR Agencies In India
Competition among the PR agencies in the India PR industry is non-existent on the outside but ruthless on the sly.
- Reporters Sans Frontiers' Worldwide Press Freedom Rankings: Playing With Numbers to Achieve Objective Ratings of Subjective Reality
Lost in translation are subtleties of data, methods of data collection and of analysis, and the caveats.
- What Does it Take to Hang a Person Till His Death in India?
India wants it collective conscience to be satisfied by legally organizing the murder of a person who might or might not be innocent.
- Is Internet Addiction Harmful?
The radio was seen as the end of print, the TV portended the end of radio, blah blah.
- A Comparison of AIIMS, PGI and JIPMER
Is JIPMER getting its due?
- Rang de Basanti vs. Water: The Oscar Showdown
Water, Rang De Basanti, or Zwartboek? Why not Adoor? The slugfest starts in the article, let's roll!
- The Golden Days of Doordarshan
Our national channel, Doordarshan, was surprisingly not so 'doooor' from its viewers' needs and sentiments in the olden days.
- Photo Essay: A Sudden Trip to Pakistan - Crossing the International Border at Wagah
Are Pakistani guards more handsome? Whose customs office is more efficient? An on-the-spot India-Pakistan report.
- The Greatest Desi English Novels
An utterly subjective list of the greatest desi English novels.
- Simple Indian Survey: Do You Know Yourself?
Find out if you are patriotic or unpatriotic; gay or straight; leftist or rightist; dumb type or Page-3 type!
- Dutch Treatment of Indian Citizens: Indians Tolerate Insults
Truly we are a munificent and tolerant nation, no doubt about that. We swallow every slight, tolerate every insult ...
- E-school Ranking Survey: Sins Of The Times
If a magazine cannot do a detailed survey then why should one believe their results?
- Desicritics Editors' Picks - June 19- July 03
Editors' Picks - which stories did you like?
- Business Today's B-School Ranking Survey gets "F" Grade
The recent BT B-School Ranking Survey is an apt case study of what faulty surveys are like.
- Rudest City in the World. Aamchi Mumbai? Nah....
How can you expect people to pick up what you dropped when they are all rushing to catch that train in a crowded railway platform?
- Dilemmas of a DC Reviewer
Reviewing, I thought was a change of mind from the daily humdrum of life until my review got published on the publisher's site.
- The MBA GANG Challenge
The MBA Gang Contest - prizes, and write-your-own-adventure.
- End Of The Raj (4): "The Legacy" And The Reality Check
The history of a nation is not a fairy-tale but an epic across generations which unfolds in various shades of gray.
- Misconceptions About Indians and India In The U.S.
I am sick and tired of the misconceptions that foreigners in foreign lands have about India and Indians.
- Don't Pray For Me!
Apparently, the Lord doesn't want your voices distracting him from the complex business of running the world.
- Talkback With Desicritics
Something on your mind? Talk about it, rip these bits and articles to shreds, annotate these posts.
- Arts or Science - Idealism vs. Practicality
Why should we push ourselves and our children into engineering, medicine, MBA or business education? Why is Art not considered a viable option?
- Lata Threatens To Quit Mumbai: Will She?
Will Lata and Asha Leave? Comments are open. Please speak up.
- The Streets of Philadelphia
My whole perspective of the city changed when I stood at the entrace to the Italian Market in South Philly and looked in.
- Would You Move to India for your Career?
What is a question of "choice" right now, may well become a question of "necessity" in the coming years
- Subliminal Branding - Mind Your Manners
'There’s no difference between our rich and poor. They both spit generously on the roads.'
- The Oscars Are Here - Liveblogging The 78th Annual Academy Awards
The Oscars are here - chip in with your opinions and votes as they proceed, and later.
- Bush Yatra: We Want Full Disclosure!
What did President Bush eat for lunch when he was in Hyderabad?
- Live-blogging The India-England First Test
Tell us your thoughts on the first test between India and England in progress.
- I Love Calcutta
Now there are so many one-way roads, it takes ages to go anywhere. But everything is on your doorstep.
- Desicritics Editors' Picks - February 17th, 2006
Some of the best writing on Desicritics in recent weeks, tough to choose, fun to read.
- Strangers in the night
Does good still exist in today's world?