281 articles in category
Page 1 of 10, Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 [Next]
- Alternative Solutions to the Babri Masjid Dispute
This was the time for judges to completely astonish us with their intellect and creativity, and they failed me.
- Allahabad High Court Delivers Split Verdict on Ayodhya
Public reaction seemed mostly disinterested, despite the ardent efforts of the media to play up the event as if it were the second Partition.
- In Defence of Secularism
Secularism supports the individual against the pressure of the group and the individual conscience against the dogma of the group.
- Ayodhya Verdict: Will Hindus Get Justice On September 24th?
A democratically elected government can’t and shouldn’t be on its knees and request its citizens to maintain harmony post a court verdict.
- Our Prime Minister Is Not Losing His Sleep Anymore
Conspiracy or no conspiracy, things are not going the way they should and I have my concerns.
- The Colours of Terrorism
The common thread is only terror, and the primary responsibility of the Home minister is to safeguard the public from any form of terror.
- Conflict Resolution for Muslims: A Practical Formula on the Chinese Theory of Mao-Dun
Conflicts are, in essence, survival skills.
- On the Ban on Shivaji: Hindu king in Islamic India
Profanity & the Intellectual Fools! Nothing but the truth, the whole truth!
- A Road to Peace? Cracking the Qur'an Code
Is it possible, at this "five minutes to midnight" time we live in, to achieve peace in West Asia?
- Ajmal Kasab And Faisal Shahzad - Double Faults
Why would an educated man with a good job and a family plant a car bomb in Times Square?
- Religion - A Powerful Weapon To Tackle Maoists
When the tribal people suffer due to ignorance, the Government suffers due to its prejudice.
- Shaikh Dr Tahir ul-Qadri Issues Anti-Terrorism Fatwa Without Teeth
Following the global anti-terrorism Fatwa launched in London it's time the public (including Muslims) question the motives of these "advisors".
- India's Influence on The World History and Economy.
Kings Sandrocuttus and Piodasses influenced the world history. What was the GDP of India since 300 B.C.?
- Lawyers Refusing to be Lawyers
The right to legal representation is one of the hallmarks of a civilised society. It is a shame that we do not do it well
- Hindu Nationalism in UK and the VHP
Looking for hindutva under every bed can lead to concussed occipital injuries.
- The 1818 Battle of Koregaon - The Beginning of a Casteist War?
Was the battle of Koregaon really the first shot of the Hindu Caste War?
- Pakistan’s Insider Jobs?
To turn against one’s own country and work for an enemy organization, one has to be embittered to the core.
- Liberhan Committee Report on Ayodhya Demolition Leaks
The contents of the report appear to be getting glossed over and the alleged leak being given greater air time.
- Afghanistan: What Next?
If the Americans leave, can the ISI and the Taliban turn the clock back?
- Lest we Forget - Truth and Reconciliation in Kandhamal
Our Lord teaches us not to hate. We do not hate our enemies, but Fear is real, especially in Orissa’s Kandhamal district.
- Love, Bollywood & Sufism
Islam/Sufism helped me regain my own path and Faith i.e. Hinduism.
- Kashmir: Propagation of Islam and the Terror of the Sufis
"Islam came to Kashmir through the peaceful missionary preaching of the Sufis," comes the answer. But the truth is quite opposite and gory.
- Did Muslims Never Carry Out The Slave Trade?
Have Muslims been the master of enslavement, sex-slavery, and slave-trade from its birth to the present day?
- India's Partition Caused By Nehru Or Jinnah?
Jinnah said, 'I will have India divided or have it destroyed,' which turned into a reality, but Nehru gets the blame.
- BJP At The Crossroads
With no clearly defined ideology in place and a buch of leaders with fat egos, the BJP as a party now stands at the crossroads.
- Shahrukh Khan's Detention Drama: Spare Some Thought For non-Muslim Victims
It seems that most kaffirs like me have generally accepted them, because they go through the save regulations on a daily basis, but never make
- Why India Should Not Hang Ajmal Kasab
We will not allow Kasab to turn into a martyr! We will allow him time and the opportunity to change his ideology and reform, as
- Banning The Burqa - Not a Solution, But A Start
Muslims (mostly men) around the world have been incensed with the French president's stance.
- After Cairo, Will Obama Back Up His Words With Actions?
Obama is good at making speeches, but can he translate his words into actions?
- Racially Motivated Shooting at US Holocaust Museum
A man armed with a shotgun entered the US Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington D.C this afternoon
- Obama's Speech in Cairo - Reactions on the Ground
A Momentous Event that could transform the course of the History of Our World.
- Out of Many, One: E Pluribus Unum
If we find it in our hearts to take the "next step", then maybe humanity can turn the corner.
- Poetry: Climbing Jacob's Ladder
bruised feet in chains, let's walk through the bazaar today / chin up, shirt torn, let's walk through the bazaar today
- Violence Erupts in Punjab Following Attack in Vienna Sikh Gurdwara
The hooliganism and mindless violence seems at odds with the teachings of their philosophy.
- Elections in India, 2009: Vote for Moderation and Maturity?
This is the victory of moderation, maturity, progress, erudition and harmony.
- Book Review: Jumping over Fire
Jumping over Fire is a story with a sweeping backdrop of history that is recent and immediate.
- Is Pakistan going the Iran Way?
A Taliban Ruled, Sunni Fundamentalist, Nuclear Armed Pakistan Is A Distinct Possibility. Please Panic!
- Afghanistan's Shia Marriage Law - A Cleric's Justification and Other Issues
Forcing Afghanistan to adopt western standards may prove to be costly
- Talibanization of Pakistan: Realizing the Dreams of Founding Fathers
Progressive Muslim intellectuals, either out of their ignorance or dishonesty, claim that Pakistan's founding fathers had dreamt of a secular state.
- Taliban Seen as Robin Hoods by Some
Bring down the Robin Hood image of the Taliban by reducing corruption levels, increasing development in these regions, and also, confronting them militarily.
- Gujarat - Will the Lies Ever End?
For too long has this ideological battle been waged on an uneven playing field heavily tilted in favor of the unscrupulous pseudo-secular forces.
- Osama Bin Laden is not a Terrorist
Unless we stop eulogizing terrorism and terrorists on class, creed, religious and ethnic lines, we cannot dream of eradicating it from our country and our
- A Follow-Up Letter to the Dalai Lama
The Tibetan community should be able to democratically decide if and how the struggle for Tibetan rights should continue.
- How Can We Fight Islamic Fundamentalism?
Mud-wrestling with a pig is not a good idea.
- Book Review: Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile
If it were not for the unintended consequences, and if it were not all real, Charlie Wilson's War makes for a 'fun' read.
- Life in the Mountains of Samaria: Feeling Like a Duck at a Target Shoot
If you have an afternoon to yourself, you can count on some Israeli bureaucrat to find a way to waste it for you.
- Indian Supreme Court Rules against Beards in Schools
A farsighted view by the Indian legislature can make a lot of difference to national integration.
- Glorifying the Hack Historian
Romila Thapar was never really a historian.
- Whose God is Great? Another Carnage in Lahore
The killings go on. The blame game goes on. And more killings go on.
- The Politics of The Church in Kerala
The Church in Kerala is desperately seeking it's political share. But will they succeed?
- Why Aren't Indo-Bangla Ties Warmer?
Bangladesh gave India a chance to break its archrival Pakistan in two. Why isn't India grateful?
- Tension in Pakistan - Where Will This Lead?
Pakistan is again in the middle of incredible political turmoil, something that the country thought it had escaped from.
- Book Review : Identity and Violence by Amartya Sen
Amartya Sen’s book, “Identity and Violence’ examines the connection between violence and our tendency to identify with one key trait.
- To Censor Or Not: Bloggers’ Duties and Liabilities
DesiCritics should, in my opinion, pre-approve comments rather than than edit comments after they are made.
- Godhra-Gujarat Seven Years Later
This smacks of double standards. Findings must be respected even if we do not agree with them: that is the basis of a mature democracy.
- India's Post-Independence Fight For Freedom
Maybe we started taking our precious freedom for granted and needed to be reminded that we simply cannot.Aditi Nadkarni
OPINION | Politics: Terrorism, Politics: War, Culture: City Life, Culture: Desi, Culture: Education, Culture: History, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Rural, Culture: Religion, Culture: Urban, Politics: Reservations, Politics: Religion, Politics: Asia, Politics: Censorship, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Elections, Politics: Empire, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Governance, Politics: India, Politics: Laws, Politics: Peace, Culture: Women
- Does the Quran Incite Violence? A Debate with Mike Ghouse, Part 2
Are Muslim clerics and militants right in justifying their preaching of violence and acts of terrorism on a Quranic basis?
- Does the Quran Incite Violence? A Debate with Mike Ghouse, Part 1
Debate on whether Muslim clerics and militants are right in justifying their preaching of violence and acts of terrorism on a Quranic basis?
- Inaction of State Governments is a Great Concern for Civil Liberty
What matters the most is the responsibility of the concerned state government whenever any form of communalism erupts.
- Obama, Terrorism and Kashmir
Kashmir is no longer a territorial dispute, but a part of the global fight against Islamic fundamentalism.