Politics: Consumer Rights
63 articles in category
Page 1 of 3, Go to page: 1, 2, 3 [Next]
- Justifying the UIDAI - A Case of PR Over Substance?
UID comes in benevolent packaging;however claims of good intentions can be sustained only with transparency of objectives and participatory processes
- The Common Shame Games of India
Could the cause be lack of portable loos near construction sites or just plain resentment on the part of the poor overworked labour class?
- Err India: The National Crasher
I know it is really tough to be a patriot, but I am not definitely not going to take this tough route to be one
- My Name is Khan Mumbai Release - Free Speech or Free Market?
Ratings were the primary interest, not freedom of speech or taking a collective stand against divisive/undemocratic intimidation.
- Shashi Tharoor's Unfettered Tweets
Tharoor might be the tech savvy politician that India may have never had, but his online support will only remain online.
- Post-liberalization India - A Free For All?
This kind of annoying in-your-face, bordering or outright illegal “marketing” and deterrent reparation processes is not isolated to Airtel.
- Surviving at the Margins: The Politics of Eviction and Resettlement in Delhi
What was to follow was a tragedy of immense proportions in post independent India that was ignored in the mainstream media.
- Joy, Killjoy of Thesis, Antithesis: Waterless Urinals & Water Crisis
I think everything in this world happens first as a farce, then as a tragedy.
- What I Would do if I was in Nandan Nilekani's Shoes
A matrix structure will allow Nandan to create a culture in which things will happen fast and move fast.
- Air India Under Investigation For Over-Boarding
Airlines frequently overbook, and hence there is a mathematics related to the number of people who overbook.
- Schools, Children, and "Personal Fiefdoms"
The wipe-the-slate-clean approach would take far more political courage than can be mustered in the current environment.
- Disabled Children Wait up to Two Years for Wheelchairs
It is a shame when a supposedly universal healthcare system lets down disabled children who are desperate for help
- Bimaru States In India
The bimaru millstone states around India's neck
- Delhi Development Authority Bureaucracy Sadistic, Says High Court
Citizens of the country have mostly bad thoughts about interacting with Government bodies.
- The New Jahanpanahs
In India, “their lordships” are the new jahanpanahs and will not tolerate any lesse majeste!
- New Delhi's Bus Rapid Transit System - Democracy Rides a Bus
The lesson for us in democracy is that sadly the common man who is the most important stakeholder is seldom consulted
- The Elderly - Between The Devil and the Deep Sea
Although the government has announced schemes like the Varishtha Mediclaim, the schemes often come with fine print riders .
- Student Suspended For University Criticism on YouTube
Is this going to be related to a freedom of speech case or a defamation case?
- Save India Family Foundation Merges With National Commission for Women
In keeping with the above-board nature of the NCW, the SIFF has said they would be using real names and contact information in all communication
- Access To Credit Should Be Recognised As Human Right
Credit for everybody is not a panacea for all ills but trying to get there is not bad either
- Indian Judiciary Concedes Defeat?
The two- bench observation humbly conceded that judicial activism has reached the fifth gear and it should be pulled back.
- Bhopal, Union Carbide, and Dow Chemicals - The Forgotten Holocaust
In a chilly night on 3rd December, 1984 a gas leak took place and 22000 people died in Bhopal. It was as
- ICICI Bank Penalized For Violence By Collection Agents
ICIC bank penalized for employing thugs for repossession of a vehicle.
- Solving Karachi's Civic Problems - Elephants Never Fly
With this sort of an experience with dealing with the City Government officials I'm not even sure why I entertained the idea of filing a
- Hepatitis, Food and Politics: Life in Israel During a Sabbatical Year
Calling something "kosher" does not necessarily mean it's clean. Politics can kill you - even just for eating a salad.
- United Nations Adopts Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
If we are specifying group rights, what are the rights of an individual within that group?
- The Contradictions in the Indian Constitution
The Indian Constitution poses the greatest threat to the freedoms of Indian citizens.
- Banks Cannot Use Force to Recover Unpaid Loans, Says Court
Maybe this will push banks to be more strict about setting up a customer credit history board
- Health Care: The Third Sector
We should commend the mission hospitals and the non profit sector for all that they are doing.
- Funding the Idiot Channel
Why should the government funded broadcaster be running so many channels if nobody watches them?
- Something as Simple as Cleaning Drains
Can get complicated if in wrong useless hands.
- Are Banks Allowed to 'Kill' Customers?
If such a thing happened in a developed country, there would have been an outcry and legislators would be discussing this heatedly.
- Chew on Free Market at Indian Restaurants
What struck me about this practice was that it was a simple but elegant expression of free market operations.
- Rights And Responsibilities
Contrary to the popular bromide, the practice of one's legitimate rights do not come with any responsibilities.
- Inclusion or Welfare: Choices in Policy
In our attitude to the disabled and most other disadvantaged, we have been welfare driven rather than inclusion driven.
- Indian Railways: Clean Mumbai Locals
More bugs than humans inhabit Mumbai locals
- Another Successful Use of the RTI Act
More usage will increase openess
- Contraception: A Woman's Heavy Burden
Very few options are available for male contraception and very little research goes into it.
- Organized Crime in India: Shadow on Our Lives
In a bid to provide maximum security to its citizens, government agencies have introduced stringent norms and regulations.
- A Tale of Two Highways
Delhi-Jaipur and Delhi-Hardwar highways - an incredible contrast.
- Cancer Patients: Dying a Thousand Deaths
Cancer is one of the top three causes of death in India, but not much is being done.
- The Delhi Airport Experience
Can be pretty painful.
- Basic Amenities in India
Providing basic amenities such as power and water are the basic obligations of a Government
- RTI Act: Central Information Commission Penalizes Govt. Body
If an Indian government functionary refuses to release information, they are liable for fines under the RTI Act.
- Congress Loses Municipal Elections in Delhi
What are the real problems affecting Delhi ?
- ICICI Bank Accused Of Using Hooligans To Reclaim Car
Can we allow such strong arm action by a bank?
- Delhi's Upcoming Season of Discontent
It is true that people get the politicians that we deserve.
- Indonesia - Why Is It Unsafe To Fly There?
Are the Indonesians caught between the devil and the deep blue sea?
- Pieces of State - Part II
Palestinian exports are a small market. If it grows it could help ease Palestinian poverty.
- The U.S. Comes Up Lacking In Cross-Atlantic Trade Wars
The European Union is going after some of the biggest players in the tech industry and the U.S. government doesn't seem to be doing much
- Strengthen Primary Education to Arrest Dropout Rates
My detractors would again ask me to stop harping and find solutions.
- Inter-state Transport - the Delhi-UP Border Bus Impasse
Delhi and UP transport officials twiddle their thumbs while passengers suffer.
- Cricket: Nimbus vs. Prasar Bharathi - Decision Subverts Commercial Contracts
Is Nimbus being 'unpatriotic' by not sharing its broadcast feed with Prasar Bharathi? I would think not!
- Book Review: Next, Michael Crichton
Review of Michael Crichton's latest novel, "Next."
- The Holy Grail of Giant Pharma
The battle between the consumer and the drug industry is far from over.
- New Delhi Municipal Corporation Officials Punished
Hauling up the chiefs of municipal corporations - and making them pay for negligence
- Cartoon: No Water? Drink Coke!
Coca Cola plants in India are causing ground water depletion and pollution.
- The Right To Information Act - An Anti-Corruption Tool
Is the RTI Act really making a difference?
- Health and Environment in India - Where Do We Go?
Need to save our environment and overall health - what can we do ?
- Traffic Congestion Surcharge - Skyway Robbery
Private airlines are given to making a big deal of their low basic fare, which, in real terms, costs customers quite a packet.