94 articles in category
Page 1 of 4, Go to page: 1, 2, 3, 4 [Next]
- Of Desis, Settlers and Flotillas in Israel
Even if the success rate is high, time is against those Israelis who believe that might is right and they will always get their way.
- Modi Vis-a-Vis MEA
At last the dust has settled, of course after some tough talks by our MEA officials to their counter parts...
- Migrant Workers in Singapore
There is no safety net for the likes of Labu, because the government is not obligated to protect their welfare.
- Idli, Sambhar and Chicken 498a
Order VAWA, made of Idli RAWA and get a complimentary Green Curd.
- A Gathering Storm - How the UID Project Will Tranform India Into a Police State
Various initiatives within the government are converging to transform India into a classic police state.
- Politics of Identity - A Discussion on the UID Project
The UID project is one of the most ambitious programs in India, without precedence or parallel anywhere in the world.
- Movie Review: My Name is Khan
The movie is very unkaranjoharly, and the most striking aspect is the simplicity of the story and its fluid narrative.
- The Hypocrisy in Pravasi Bharatiya Divas
Patriotism is most welcome from news channels. But if the media needs to broadcast respectful news stories, it needs to shed its hypocrisy.
- New Indian Visa Regulations Impact Tourists
This kind of haphazard and ham-handed approach to implementing new regulations does not help anyone.
- Mumbaikar Lose As MNS Wins
What happened to the not so intellectually backward class of Mumbai? Those who voted MNS to power how are they going to justify it?
- Shah Rukh Khan Detained At Newark Airport, USA
The rational explanation is of course that the immigration authorities were only doing their job, and the rules are the same for everyone.
- Racist - Them or Us or All of Us?
As Indians we're exposed to such a wide variety of languages and such rich culture, and should technically be the most tolerant, but this doesn't
- One Foul Job Ad
At the time of this writing, the "end client" who had actually asked for non-Indian applicants only had not been touched by any of this.
- Home is Home, Warts and All
Times have changed. Few of us suffer from the supposed 'Culture Shock' when we visit Europe or America.
- Should the Nepalese Government honour Joanna Lumley?
It is ridiculous to expect the Nepalese government to honour Lumley, though she has done the Gurkhas a great service
- The British National Party - Not British, National, Certainly Not a Party
Why the British National Party, a fascist racist party is making gains and what to do about it?
- Gurkhas Seek Justice in UK, They Get The Law Instead
The Gurkhas are brave and loyal, but should that give them the right to settle down in the UK?
- What Goes for the Terrorist Goose Doesn't Go For the Terrorist Gander
At Uncle Sam's place, why do supporters of some terrorist groups get away scot free?
- Should India Speak Up for the European Romani?
Hitler killed over a million Romani on account of their South Asian appearance.
- Girl Forced to Choose Between Parents and Country
However heart-breaking the story, this is not a story that happens rarely. Such scenes are repeated in Japan and many other countries on a regular
- Noriko Calderon's Case - Is Japanese Immigration Law Too Cruel?
Are the Japanese immigration authorities too heartless?
- British Visas for Foreign Students - The Hidden Politics
Most international students in the UK fail to find employment commensurate with their qualifications, experience and abilities when they graduate.
- Indentured Laborers - The First Non-Resident Indians
When we think of NRIs today, we probably largely think of wealthy movers and shakers.
- My Two Cents to Jason Kenney, Canadian Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism
Don't just look for students with deep pockets, but those with deep knowledge.
- Movie Review: Ramchand Pakistani
It is not every day that we hear the title of a revered Hindu god and Pakistani in the same sentence.Aditi Nadkarni
REVIEW | Politics: Immigration, Politics: India, Politics: South Asia, Politics: Pakistan, Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Films, Culture: Bureaucracy, Media: Films - Bollywood, Media: Films - Hollywood, Media: Films - Hindi, Media: Film - Actors, Media: Film - Directors, Media: Films, Politics: World
- My Name is Prerna and I am an Undocumented American
There are many undocumented Desi students in the closet. Let's come together to bring them out of the shadows.
- Terrorism All The Way
Nepal and Bangladesh have now established themselves as a safe heaven and a launching pad for carrying out anti-Indian activities. Illegal immigrants continue to enter
- Conversions, Sham Marriages and Organ Donations
Various distasteful matters can be perfectly legal!
- The Plan: Twelve Months to Renew Britain
The Plan is based on the assumption that the UK is in a bad shape.
- To Leave or Not To Leave
A waning love story with a lovely Indian city.
- Book Review: Amitav Ghosh's Sea of Poppies
Sea of Poppies is a good book. A very good book. But it falls short of being superb or brilliant.
- Racism in Indian Schools in South Africa
A review of a paper on how some Indian immigrant schools are faring in South Africa
- Paranoia, Transformers, & the Free State
Mid-air, Megatron would metamorphose from the T-Shirt, hijacking them away in search of the Cube or would he demand destruction of all hard detergents?
- Poetry: smiling crocodile
"... what is happening in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank could describe events [apartheid] in South Africa."~Archbishop Desmond Tutu
- H-1Bs, Immigration Policies and US Jobs
Little is known to those outside of the IT world the legalities, and oftentimes corrupted practices taking place right here in the USA.
- Using Refugees for Strategic Purposes
Governments and other parties use refugees for their own purposes, and not just for humanitarian reasons either
- Activism - The Forgotten Facet of Being American
This nation is built and run by immigrants of today and yesterday.
- Mumbai US Consulate - Bureaucratic Hassles
Just outsourcing a service does not make "the end justify the means".
- Maharashtra Riots - The Right to Uncultured Protest
It is in this uncultured way they seek to protect the 'Marathi Culture'.
- The Divided States Of America: Democratic Dilemma
For the very first time the liberals will contradict their own ideologies by revealing their subtle biases.
- Employment Programmes - Solutions in Search of Problems
They assumed that anybody who is not white has a problem in getting a job.
- US Immigration - Stars & Stripes Lounges to Ease the Pain
This is a very good business proposition, and definitely a win-win case.
- Book Review: Exodus
Exodus is without question a historical novel told from the obvious Jewish perspective.Sandeep
REVIEW | Media: Blogs, Politics: Asia, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Governance, Politics: Immigration, Politics: Middle East, Politics: United Kingdom, Politics: War, Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Arts, Culture: Books, Culture: Books - Fiction, Culture: Books - Non Fiction, Culture: Desi, Culture: Essay, Culture: History, Culture: Religion, Politics: World
- Names of the Romani People
The Romani people, the names given by the non-Roma and contemporary issues.
- Roma - The Invisible Desi People
An introduction in the contemporary Desi context of the Romani people, a population who emigrated from the Subcontinent a millennium ago.
- The Politics of Identity in Malaysia
Discrimination is indefensible, equality of opportunity a must!
- Sein Myint : The Man with No Name
The question of identity is always an important one but perhaps more in the case of people who are stateless.
- Get Real, Arshad Warsi; This Isnít Reality TV
Most people ignore it as public nuisance. Some hoot back at the racists, if it makes them feel any better.
- Some More Thoughts on Immigration
If you do not have a points-based system, on what other basis would you let them in?
- Taslima Nasreen Leaves Kolkata: A Giant Defeat for Secularism
The biggest tragedy in this situation is that this country's moderate Muslims and Hindus remain silent - again.
- Minorities and Poverty
Public policy should not be driven by blunt instruments such as skin colour.
- US Immigration - Making it Difficult For Legal Immigrants
If you had an ounce of common sense, what would you do?
- End Permanent Migration To West
Permanent migration should be completely banned except in cases of marriage
- Book Review: The Reluctant Fundamentalist
Mohsin Hamid's book points at the self-destructive tragedy of all fundamentalism
- Burmese Refugees in India
The public of India has generally heard of military rule in Burma but fail to understand the nightmares the public of Burma are facing from
- The State of European Muslims
They want to have a nice document, with some quangos overseeing the process, nicely arranged into nice tower blocks.
- MI5 Chief Faces Immigration Delays at Heathrow
I still fail to realize why the government is dithering while Rome is burning.
- No Updates On Neo-Nazi Attacks on Indians in Germany
The core aspect of racism and discrimination will hit the airwaves for some time and then disappear.