48 articles in category
Page 1 of 2, Go to page: 1, 2 [Next]
- Photography Times: Indian Idols - Live in Concert
The Indian Idol 5 winner, runner-up and finalist in a live concert.
- A Postmodern Wedding
Occasionally our cultural climate doles out opportunities to compensate for the cinematic inadequacy of our lives.
- Changing Perspective
One must be true to the art they are passionate about.
- The Death Of A King: Michael Jackson Passes Away
Do you remember the time, when we were in love. We were young and innocent then
- Gaddar, a Legend
Gaddar the revolutionary balladeer instead carried on with the movement that we all once dreamed of.
- Poetry: another poem
all the travails in the travel are for what?
- Poessay: Rosary 26 - Trancing Segues
overwhelming, stifling, encouragaing, invigorating and magical
- Poetry: drop's whirl
fermenting queries doing rumiesque whirls
- Ishq-Mohabbat-Pyaar-Vyaar: A Tribute to Filmy Love
The influence of films hasn’t made matters any easier for those of us struck by Cupid’s arrow.
- Ramakrishna: A Lover of God
Decomposing the religious epistemological framework of Ramakrishna is futile, he was simply a lover of God.
- Music Review: Trickbaby's Chor Bazaar
An Asian fusion band returns with a terrific sophomore CD
- Freedom, Pub Culture, and the Police State
Bangalore is already going down the slippery slope of becoming a police state.
- The Storyteller And His Audience
Why does this happen in India, this trashing of our art forms until they become a pathetic mockery of themselves?
- Poessay: Rosary 17 - Hemashree
there is a price tag for every one
- Poessay: Rosary 16: Ageless Quest - tishnagi
a vigorous pursuit / of flickering shadows dancing / with foggy apprehensions / to nature's cascading melody
- Devi Comes Home
The Kalash, symbolic of the universe (Brahmaand), represents the Devi, during these nine days.
- Understanding Myself in the US
The past year in the US have made me believe I’m God.
- Movie Review: Bhoothnath & Desi Little Miss Sunshines
For Christ sakes- eight year old wearing torn leggings, skanky tube tops and minis is not okay whether in a kids movie or in adult
- How Wikipedia Conquered my Reality Soap/TV Addiction
I realised I was watching most of the reality shows I liked because I liked seeing who would get eliminated next.
- A Bad Habit Called A Reality Soap
Why are reality shows irresistible?
- Child Artists - Prodigies Or Fodder For Pedophiles?
Am I the only one who finds something grotesquely wrong with the kind of performances some kids are putting up on TV ?
- A Visit to Karachi's Red Light Area
Several decades ago, the first blow to this business was severely felt when the Karachi film industry went bust.
- Breaking the Cycle of Consumerism and Poverty
I'm now questioning what I can do,
- Margazhi and Music
The Margazhi Music Season is something to be experiences atleast once in one's life...
- Rakhi Sawant Loses Competition and Whines
"Yeh cheating hai!" declares La Sawant. Says she wants to play bahu in Ekta Kapoor serial
- An Impromptu Review of the Konark Dance Festival
Longwinded felicitations are the order-of-the-day at the Konark Dance Festival. Even I was compelled to join in the blather!
- James Watson Vs. Howard Gardner - What Does Intelligence Mean?
Isn't it time for us to take a look at the true meaning of intelligence?
- Googlies: India's Twenty 20 Cricket Cup Win Over Pakistan
Not a match report. Not even an analysis. Yet it reads like both. Worth a grin.
- Bollywood Acting 101: Looking Away Shyly
The heroine was always a picture of demure meekness while vamps, shook their booties and wore sleevless gowns cut at the thigh.
- The Untrodden Path
An account of two talented male dancers in a woman's world.
- Concert Review: Fireflies Festival of Music, Bangalore
Music, even if all is not comprehensible, will also fill the seats, if it fulfills at least the needs of the ear and the mind.
- Bollywood in the Skies
It is interesting, the kind of reaction a male movie star generates among Indian women
- Images From Bengalooru Habba
When governments are unable to financially support art, is it wrong for private funding to step in?
- Bengalooru Habba 2006 - Bangalore's Festival of the Arts
"Bengalooru Habba" is a festival that truly represents the spirit of Bangalore.
- Theater Review: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
“Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” is basically a love story that charms the viewer with warmth and wit.
- Cheb Mami vs. Tam Rap: Creative or Wannabe Hip Hop?
Are we desis wannabes? An observation of Tam Rap.
- Durga Puja(o) and Its Changing Meaning Through the Years
Bengalis love to write about Durga Puja. It's their favorite festival and for most, it is THE festival.
- Diwali Mela: London Istyle!
Bright sparks, in a myriad of different hues, took over the skies amidst shouts of 'Happy Diwali'.
- Concert Review: An Evening in Red Fort – When Sufi Went Phuss
Purani Dilli, Ramadan night; brightly-lit Laal Quila; Pakistani pop stars; Sufi concert; October breeze – and yet the evening backfired! What went wrong?
- Photo Essay: Ram Lila - Backstage with the Gods - The Anthropology of Theatre
That would possibly have been the best ever blogger profile pic but alas it wasn't to be.
- A Sudden Visit to Pakistan: Heera Mandi - The Dream House of the Whores
Taking a midnight stroll in the sinful red light district of Lahore, Pakistan.
- Actress, Dancer Padmini Passes Away - A Salute To The Doyenne of South Indian Cinema
Padmini was to dance what M.S Subbulakshmi was to Carnatic music.
- Penelope Cruz + Javier Moro's Pasion India + Anita Delgado of Kapurthala
The Spanish connection in Kapurthala, Punjab.
- Dance partner: humraq's
as the hands around the waist / and hips, arms and nape / tango tremulously
- Hi, I’m Zehra, Your DJ for the Evening
You absolutely control the fervor of the dancing, the movements and moods of everyone out there.
- Desicritics Editors' Picks-- July 10-July 23
If you were away here are some articles you may want to read.
- India International Salsa Congress in Bangalore, Aug 16-20, 2006
So if you've vaguely heard of Salsa but don't know squat about it, now's the time to go, watch and learn.