67 articles in category
Page 1 of 3, Go to page: 1, 2, 3 [Next]
- Tracing Michael: Over the Years
My chronicles while growing up with Michael Jackson's music -- the years that were.
- A Reviewer's Dilemma
Roger Ebert's 1 star review of Tru Loved would have become a controversy, but for his exemplary behavior.
- Music Review: U Me Aur Hum
Vishal Bhardwaj has always been awesome. Will the "U Me Aur Hum" album, with lyrics by Munna Dhiman, be his Waterloo?
- Music Review: Om Shanti Om
It's not a work of unparalleled genius but it definitely has its moments
- Moser Baer's Cheap Movie CD/DVDs
Are you aware that original VCDs and DVDs can be purchased at the cost of pirated ones?
- Music Review: Britney Spears - Gimme More
The prematurely aged Britney tries to project coolness instead of clueless. Strange as it ever was.
- Himesh Reshammiya Caught In A Burqa At The Ajmer Shrine
Himesh Reshammiya caught in a burqa at the Ajmer shrine
- Vinyl Tap: Brian Wilson
It was 1988, the dreaded year of the Kokomo. We were musical miles from cruisin’ to the hamburger stand now, or the columnated ruins domino...
- Kalyanji Anandji - Relevant Legends
Kalyanji Anandji, legendary Bollywood composers are still giving concerts & are relevant today more than ever...
- Movie Review: Nishabd - A Desi Oldie's Take
The movie has educative value for eligible oldies, with time on hand and twiddling their thumbs waiting for out-of-the-box adulthood ideas.
- Music Review: Intelligence Failure Buckethead & Viggo Mortensen
This is not going to find favour among those who think that voicing an opinion contrary to the White House is unpatriotic.
- American Idol: I'm Not Voting for Sanjaya
I’m not going to vote for Sanjaya Malakar’s boring pipes and I’m not less of an Indian for saying so.
- Music Review: Corey Stevens Albertville
Corey Stevens may be a guitar player, but he's a musician first...
- Music Review: The Golden Gate Orchestra, Crazy Words, Crazy Tune
...bands like (The Golden Gate Orchestra) cemented the popular song as a legitimate form in music,
- Music Review: Clarence Williams Jug & Washboard Bands Whoop It Up Volume 1 1927 - 1929
Williams was a musician, producer, entrepreneur, performer, agent, and a little leery of the truth.
- Music Review: Michael Fahres The Tubes Minimal Minimalism
The Tubes will give you a good overview of the different forms minimalism can take.
- Music Review: Viggo Mortensen, Hank Mortensen, & Scott Wannberg are 3 Fools 4 April
A wonderful opportunity to see and hear three great poets
- Music Review: Kevin Coyne: Carnival
If you go into his world once, you may find yourself drawn back in again and again.
- Music Review: Room Full Of Fools Kevin Coyne
Listen to this and you may come away with a little more understanding of how even awareness can be harmful.
- Music Review: Kevin Coyne Sugar Candy Taxi
Even though Kevin is no longer with us, he has left a wonderful legacy behind him
- Music Review: The Good, The Bad, And The Queen Damon Albarn, Paul Simonon, Tony Allen, and Simon Tong
If one were to judge West London by The Good, The Bad, And The Queen one would think of it as perpetually raining and depressed.
- Music Review: State Of Grace, The Holmes Brothers
In this day and age all of us could use a little grace.
- Music Review: Drink House To Church House: Songs & Stories From The Roots Of America Vol. I & II - Various Artists
...oral histories of the Southern United States from before the turn of the nineteenth century until the present day.
- Music Review: Gospel Train Bishop Dready Manning
...being a preacher didn't mean he had to stop playing the blues
- Music Review: Expressin' The Blues & A Living Past Various Artists
A Living Past and Expressin' The Blues are simply reminders that this music is worth listening to, no matter when it was written.
- Music Review: Chicago Blues Festival Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, Otis Rush, & Little Walter
I know that I wouldn't want to be the one asked to decide between the two duos as to which was better.
- Music Review: Vishwa Mohan Bhatt Classics For Pleasure
How many other idiot Westerners do you know that would dare review a disc of Classical Indian Music on a site like Desicritics?
- Music Review: Jefferson Airplane High Flying Bird: Live At The Monterey Festival
"a perfect example of what the world is coming to"
- Music Review: Bye Bye Sonny Sonny Boy Williamson, Eric Clapton, Eric Burdon, and Jimmy Page
Bye Bye Sonny is a great addition to any music collection.
- Music Review: Canciones De Las Brigadas Internacionales
A wonderful tribute to men who have been ignored for too long.
- The Music That Rocked My World In 2006
These are twelve recordings that made a difference in my world over the year...
- Music Review: Bahamut Hazmat Modine
...Peel back the essence of a feeling or a moment and put it to music with courage and conviction.
- Music Review: White Trash Girl Candye Kane
There's a lot more to this girl than just one dimension of the blues.
- Music Review: Spirit Rising Volume I & II
When I listen to gospel music I'm not listening to the "message", but the manner in which it is delivered.
- Interview: Thomas Ruf Of Ruf Records: Part Two
I don’t care how profitable a project potentially could be – It's about the quality between you and your fellows while you walk.
- Interview: Thomas Ruf of Ruf Records, Part 1
Those old blues guys fitted my social consciousness – they were underdogs that made it through their music.
- Music Review: Ruf Records Anthology: 12 Years Of The Blues Crossing Over
Two discs provide a sampling of what Thomas Ruf considers the highlights of twelve years of music.
- Music Review: Andrew Collberg Andrew Collberg
His first disc shows plenty of promise, but also shows weaknesses that need to be addressed.
- The Music Maker Relief Foundation: Helping Restore The Blues
They are one of the best and brightest hopes for keeping the Blues alive today.
- Ruf Records: Keeping The Blues Alive
Ruf Records are this year's recipient of the Keeping The Blues Alive award for Record Companies.
- Music Review: Johnny Action Figure Asks The Room To Please Stop Spinning
When whoever said everything old is new again said it I'm not sure what they were referring to, but it...
- Music Review: Ray LaMontagne Till The Sun Turns Black
In the case of Ray LaMontagne I have no trouble saying Till The Sun Turns Black is the work of an artist.
- Music Review: Everything I Need Aynsley Lister
...he's not here to conquer anything but your love of good music.
- Music Review: Blues Ignited David Rotundo
They commit themselves to each song like it's the last thing they might ever do in their lives.
- Music Review: Instrumentals 1967 -1996 Canned Heat
...throughout the decades of their existence they have the ability to play outside the box with style and flair
- CD Review: Nuages Du Monde (Clouds of the World), Delerium
Ethno-ambient cinematic music beautifully recorded with a host of top talented female singers, but lacking in distinctive, memorable material.
- Music Review: George Clinton & The P-Funk All Stars Take It To The Stage
You don't know what your missing if you've not experienced George Clinton & The P-Funk All Stars.
- Music Review: Pete Seeger Brothers And Sisters
...we can never have enough recordings of Pete or anybody singing those songs.
- Music Review: Strictly Off Limits Accademia Amiata Ensemble: Music Of Frank Zappa & Tommy Fortmann
He (Zappa) would probably be the one most capable of composing work of serious merit
- Music Review: If I Should Fall From Grace With God by The Pogues
...the Pogues are and always will be one of the great exports of Ireland.
- Music Review: Live At The Earl Of Old Town Steve Goodman
it's like having him stop by and giving you a personal concert.
- Music Review: Outward Bound The Eric Dolphy Quintet
bridge for the new listeners between the recognizable motifs of Bebop and the freer situation of New Jazz.
- Music Review: Forecast: Tomorrow Weather Report
...we can just be grateful for what we have, and Forecast: Tomorrow is definitely something to be grateful for.
- Karsh Kale's Broken English Track Remixed
A cutting edge remix contest for a cutting edge artist.
- Music Review: Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion Exploration
The spirit of American Folk music is alive and well and continuing to grow and develop, just like the folk it speaks to.
- U2: Over the Years
U2, the Irish Rock Band has grown to become a cultural icon. This is an attempt to summarise what their music has been all about
- Music Review: Giuseppe Verdi: Aida
Opera D'oro has released a beautifully performed, masterly conducted, and lovingly recorded live version
- Musice Review: John Lee Hooker - The King Of The Boogie
these songs aren't the prettiest you're ever going to hear, but probably some of the most realalistic.