79 articles in category
Page 1 of 3, Go to page: 1, 2, 3 [Next]
- Counterpoint: Why Women's Reservation is a (Unreservedly) Good Idea
Women's reservation has been a long-time coming. This bill may not be the best or only solution to empowering women. But let not the perfect
- The Women's Reservation Bill And Empowerment
Is there a need for reservations? Is it going to make any significant impact?
- Women’s Reservation Bill: Lottery System to Replace Democracy in India
30% of male MPs of Congress, BJP and CPM resigning for a women only bi-election?!!
- The 1818 Battle of Koregaon - The Beginning of a Casteist War?
Was the battle of Koregaon really the first shot of the Hindu Caste War?
- Are Reservations Justified?
Reservations sharpen caste distinctions in the short term. Will it bring prosperity and make matters better in the long term?
- Reservations for Women: In Parliament, Judiciary, Corporates and Government Jobs
Govt must reserve positions for women in judiciary, bureaucracy, Govt and private jobs in stead of reserving seats in parliament.
- Elections in India, 2009: Vote for Moderation and Maturity?
This is the victory of moderation, maturity, progress, erudition and harmony.
- Fighting Fundamentalism With Fundamentalism
Bigotry of one kind cannot counter bigotry of another. Hatred cannot be fought with hatred.
- Gaddar, a Legend
Gaddar the revolutionary balladeer instead carried on with the movement that we all once dreamed of.
- India's Post-Independence Fight For Freedom
Maybe we started taking our precious freedom for granted and needed to be reminded that we simply cannot.Aditi Nadkarni
OPINION | Politics: Terrorism, Politics: War, Culture: City Life, Culture: Desi, Culture: Education, Culture: History, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Rural, Culture: Religion, Culture: Urban, Politics: Reservations, Politics: Religion, Politics: Asia, Politics: Censorship, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Elections, Politics: Empire, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Governance, Politics: India, Politics: Laws, Politics: Peace, Culture: Women
- Do Locals Hold 90% of The Jobs in Mumbai?
Be careful of what you read these days. Validation is critical as everybody is driven by their own agenda
- Barack Obama in the Indian Context
Reservation is an opportunity, in the absence of efforts, negates its very purpose
- Expansion of IIMs - Credibility At Stake
Expanding IIMs introduces risk of IIMs losing credibility - one thing that they have always banked upon in the world
- Can Only Whites be Racist?
Why is it that racism is usually only associated with Whites and not with Browns, Blacks and Greys and Yellows and Greens?
- Caste-based Reservations Demands Increasing
As long as the politics of reservation continues to be patronized by various Governments, they will face such issues.
- Gujjar Protests Paralyze Delhi
Government unable to prevent traffic blocks and jams
- The Marathi Manoos versus the Thackeray Brand
It might be time to dissociate the identity of the long suffering "Marathi Manus" from the Thackerays.Aditi Nadkarni
OPINION | Culture: Social Issues, Politics: Laws, Politics: World, Politics: South Asia, Politics: Reservations, Politics: Religion, Politics: Peace, Politics: India, Politics: Asia, Media: Newspapers, Media: News, Media: Television, Media: Internet, Media: Magazines, Media: Journalism, Culture: Society
- Modern Pakistan & Musharraf's Liberalism
Pseudo-liberal factions like to argue that Musharraf alone is the answer to all of Pakistan’s problems, this isn’t true.Zainub Razvi
OPINION | Politics: Reservations, Politics: Religion, Politics: Pakistan, Politics: Governance, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Elections, Politics: Corruption, Politics: Asia, Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Religion, Culture: Essay, Culture: Desi, Politics: South Asia
- A fresh look at Reservations and Quotas - PART II
Exploring suggestions and alternatives for another look at "reservations" and affirmative action
- Shoaib Malik - An Utterly Needless Controversy
It’s unfortunate that Shoaib’s gaffe came at the time that it did, but let’s not lose sleep over it, shall we?
- Bangladesh's Cartoon Controversy: The Prophet and His Honor
I shudder to think what the Prophet would have made of our efforts to protect his reputation if he were alive.
- Andhra Pradesh Ordinance on Reservations to Muslims Challenged
Trying to get an ordinance passed that was rejected earlier
- Justice for Dalits After Haryana Killing
Until Dalits build up their strength and follow in the footsteps of Dr. Ambedkar, they will keep suffering under the caste stigma.
- Affirmative Action and Positive Discrimination
The people who are gaining from this will rush to talk about everything but the issue.
- Millennium Development Goals Through the Lens of India's Caste System
Millennium Developmental Goals should be addressed within the issues of four windows presented here.
- A Fresh Look At Reservations And Quotas
A fresh look at the current system of reservations and quotas
- Will Dalit Christians Get Justice This Time?
Will the Judicial system of India give justice to Indian Dalit Christians now after 57 years of injustice done to them?
- Why Elite Lower Castes Do Not Support Reservations
Even the lower caste IT engineers, who should have stood by their own kind coming from villages, do NOT support these reservations
- SC Questions Government Reservation Policy in Commercial Contracts
Providing reservation in commercial contracts, what next?
- Reservations: How Indian Industry Discriminates
Most Indian companies seem to further the discrimination in a very subtle and subconscious process.
- Reservations, Affirmative Action, and Corporate Responsibility
Indian Industry has to fulfill its obligation to either voluntarily embrace the concept of promoting backward classes or it could be enforced.
- Push for Reservations in the Private Sector
The Government really has no answers as to why they cannot take the required long term measures that will really benefit the people.
- Congress Gameplan for Muslim Quota in Andhra Pradesh
It is time that the Muslim community saw through such pretenses and favored people who actually work for their benefit.
- Religious Leaders: Unaccountable Power Centers
The position of religious leaders in a secular state is ambiguous.
- Minority Institutions: Examining the Foundations
What minority traditions are minority institutions perpetuating ?
- Caste Identity and Reservations
Recent Gurjjar agitation brings out no easy way out
- Gujjars & Meenas - No Cast(e) Away This
Raje really has very few options. The funny part though is, there probably are no options to choose from either.
- Democracy and Violence: The Indian Paradox
In an atmosphere of intolerance, the essence of democracy is killed.
- Interview: Vinod Joseph George: Author Of Hitchhiker
As long as the bottom line is fine who cares how many fall below it and can't get back up?
- A Threat to the Idea of India
We've completely lost consciousness of the idea of cultural unity of India, which in fact is the real idea of India.Sandeep
OPINION | Politics: Reservations, Politics: Religion, Politics: Laws, Politics: India, Politics: Governance, Politics: Freedom, Politics: Elections, Media: Blogs, Culture: Society, Culture: Social Issues, Culture: Religion, Culture: History, Culture: Essay, Culture: Desi, Politics: South Asia
- Government to Appeal Against Reservation Stay
The Government is not really prepared for the hard questions asked by the court, and is stuck between a rock and a hard place.
- India: Development At What Cost?
If India does not correct the inequities that are still inherent in her society, one way or another she will implode inwards just like the
- Multiple Entrance Examinations Work As "Entry Barriers"
Multiple entrance exams for professional courses are taxing all students, more so for marginalized rural students, economically and infrastructurally.
- Stay On OBC Reservations - Our New Summer of Discontent
The reservation issue will never die as no one will allow it to.
- Supreme Court Stays Implementation of 27% OBC Quota
The Congress has everything to lose after the Supreme Court judgement.
- Congress Courts Muslim Vote
How to take effective measures to improve the condition of the Muslim community
- Book Review: Hitchhiker Vinod George Joseph
The economic miracle of India...is hiding some of the old unpleasant truths.
- Women's Day 2007: The Changing Role of Women in Society
More than a century after Women's Day was first observed, how much has a woman's role in society changed?
- The Big Old Reservation Debate
The reservation policy was supposed to bring down the number of people requiring help. It's time to take another look
- Pillars Of Democracy In Conflict
In the U.S. and India, the two largest democracies, the judiciary and law makers are increasingly at conflict.
- Egyptian Blogger Jailed for Insulting Islam
Suppression of free speech is another facet of an underlying internal struggle between the moderate and extreme inside Muslim world
- Enlightened Moderation and Islamic Militancy: Pakistan's Flawed Tactics and Its Consequences
Suicide bomb in Quetta kills fifteen people - three months after the Bajour military raid, ordinary Pakistanis continues to suffer.
- Investing In Our Morrows
A personal reflection on how attitudes towards social and economic change over the years.
- Manmohan Singh's War on Inequities and The Truth about Muslim Economic Status
There is no reason to bypass the Madrasa system…instead it should be managed in a formal manner.
- Religion-based IITs, IIMs: Divisive, Unworkable
Why does such an exclusivist minority viewpoint come into being?
- The Cost of a Handful of Spinach? Three Little Fingers
Nothing can make up for the three tiny fingers cut off in a fit of rage for a few leaves.
- An Unqualified Apology to Every Untouchable
I join Navya Shastra, in apologising to the other castes and promise I will raise my voice against this disgusting practice.
- Orissa Temple Purified After Dalits Enter
Temple purified after entry by Dalits. In this day and age, untouchability reigns strong.