« November, 2008 || January, 2009 »
- Archives: December 2008
- A Cancer Researcher At The Scene
Today, the cancer researcher in me sat down and pondered about terrorism, in terms of cancer research (can you believe it!)
- India's 9/11 - Rage, Retaliation, and Restraint, Part II
The Mumbai attacks were India’s 9/11.
- A Tale of Two Countries
Just as every single terror attack big or small finds a linkage in Pakistan, almost every single IT product big or small has some Indian
- Mumbai Terror: Basic Security Issues
Are these not just some of the points that are part of the over-simplified and hence underestimated internal security concerns?
- What Will It Take To Be Safe?
If we fail to learn from Mumbai, we will be doomed to repeat it. But what are the lessons?
- Terrorism and Moral Outrage
Until we establish a just society, we will have no answer to terrorism.
- Mumbai Attacks: What Was, is and Should Be
How we term and define what happened will also fashion our response and future policy.
- Children With Learning Problems - It's the Schools, not the Kids, Stupid!
A staggering 20 million Indian children probably have learning disabilities. But schools and teachers are clueless.
- Children, Adults, and Other Animals
Asian children are pampered to an extent that may be described as ‘unhealthy.’
- Honoring Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and Rebbetzin Rivka Holtzberg, Martyrs of the Jewish People Who Died in Mumbai
In the face of terrorist evil, the Haba"d will light a torch to drive away the darkness.
- Bazaar Walks: Today at Dadar
I went to Dadar Market today, to chalk out a new Bazaar Walk tour. Here’s what I came away with.
- The Congress (I) - A Party of, by and For Madam
She may be working in the background but is it not true that even the kingmaker should also be held accountable?
- Indian Television Media: Things going wrong?
The advantage of an active media is that other elements of society are very careful about how they conduct themselves.
- Problems Exposed By the Mumbai Attacks
This act of terrorism has exposed the inability of the country to have a unified security mechanism that can effectively handle such incidents.
- Mumbai Stands United!
What will it take to wake up the Government and get them to swing into action?
- Why the NSG Should Not Protect Politicians
It is a natural principle of democracy that those that represent us have the same protections as the common man. No more, no less.
- The Lord of The Rings is a Bollywood Movie
Top 10 Reasons why LoTR is just another Bollywood Masala film.
- Terrorism - What's Under The Surface?
Terrorism is only a symbol of the sort of world we live inUma Ranganathan
OPINION | BizTech: Consumers | BizTech: Development | BizTech: Environment | BizTech: Globalization | Culture: City Life | Culture: Education | Culture: Essay | Culture: Relationships | Culture: Social Issues | Culture: Society | Media: Newspapers | Politics: Corruption | Politics: India | Politics: War on Terror
- Operation Cyclone and Mumbai Terror Attacks
Was the code name "Operation Cyclone" a coincidence or purposeful?
- Mumbai Fights Back
Images of the 60 hours terror attack in Mumbai and also of the protest rally.
- Interview: Yogita Limaye, CNN-IBN Reporter, on Mumbai Attacks
Yogita Limaye gives us an on-ground perspective of the events that unfolded in Mumbai.
- India, Pakistan and the Future
the best defence is not having someone who has reason to hate you
- What a Pity
A review on how our leaders have reacted to the worst ever terrorist strike on our country
- Mumbai Terror Attacks: The Way Forward
It's been a stunning and welcome development - that people are coming out in force onto the streets.
- The Dividing Roots Of Religions
She was barking up the wrong tree. I was already on her side.
- There Is No Sun Shining Through
Growth slowed, banks failed and then disaster struck Uncle Sam -- It certainly seemed like there was no sun shining through...
- Another Post-Mumbai Agenda: Getting Internal Security Right
Mumbai is a wake up call that offers valuable lessons on managing anti-terror operations. The first step to be taken with resolve is to set
- Symbolic Gestures Are Sometimes Necessary
I usually agree with Jawed Naqvi, but not this time.
- Historical Turning Points in Kashmir
Three events, each of which could have changed the history of Kashmir.
- Pakistan Acts Against The Terrorists
With all these factors, many of them at cross-purposes, it is hard to really guess what the Pakistanis will do.
- Dr. Binayak Sen – A Poem
Dr Binayak Sen, arrested in May 2007 in Chattisgarh is currently in prison awaiting a trial that has been repeatedly delayed.
- poem: hatred and love
if hatred was a sacrificial goat / it should be rescued and protected
- Is Dieting Required? Ask Oprah
In the end she seems to have come to the grand realization that being thin is not the end goal but to be fit and
- Terror - Our Double Standards
Our politicians shamelessly exhibit double standards in their approach towards terrorism.
- Congo Connection 1
Leopoldville, Congo after that
- My Clandestine Reading and Other Literary Habits
My reading habits remained clandestine till I turned 15 and one day I gathered courage.
- Mumbai - Does the Media Decide our Response?
While people were searching for their dead ones at the CST, the media continued its focus on Taj.
- Slumdog Millionaire Nominated for Best Picture at Golden Globes
Brilliant does not always translate into easy to stomach
- Terrorism - The Communist Perception
We have not sent them to the Parliament to act as "spin doctors" spinning reasons for the existence of terrorism.
- Missing InSomnia
“We are having a blast at the Taj tonight…You'll love it !"
- Orissa Police in Service of Hindutva (and POSCO)
For those who have been following recent events in Orissa, sections 153A and 295A read like a description of the Sangh Parivar’s activities.
- Poessay: Rosary 20 - Thanksgiving I
and those fleeting moments / chance encounters really / dictate how we bow / to our copy-righted gods
- Poetry: Matte Finish
Skin powdered to smooth perfection Lipstick patted dry to a subtle, near non-erasable hue
- Where is The Line?
How do we deal with the happenings in Mumbai?
- Not One Of The Family
Aren't they drawing boundaries between straight people and gay people in a 'them' versus 'us' scenario?
- A Love For Shoes: This Has Nothing to Do With Iraq and Yet...
The scar above my left eyebrow, comes in handy when government directives ask one to mention scars on official applications.
- Chennai Test: Where The Spirit Stays Alive
The script, couldn't be more perfect. Madras was destined to witness one of the highest run chases in Test history and the highest in India.
- Iraq - Shoe-ing Away The Question
What if it's true? is a question, better avoided than asked.
- A Post-Mumbai Agenda II: Managing Pakistan
Giving Pakistan "the stick" is counter-productive, without a few carrots as well.
- An Open Letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the Sri Lankan Issue
The peril facing Sri Lanka (and India) is immediate and great and urgent action is imperative
- Congo Connection 2
Somewhere at a plush estate in Midrand, Johannesburg a deal of millions of dollars of armaments is being made. The gun sellers fuel the civil
- Flying Shoe-cers
This little stunt has, on the surface, brought it back to the forefront.
- Movie Review: Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
Aditya Chopra tries to balance two worlds and loses the balance.
- Maharashtra Shining? A Close Look at Rural Maharashtra
I come away in deep thought and stay that way for a long while as we drive to different spots
- Book Review: Maria Misra’s Business, Race, and Politics in British India
Managing agencies had so much contempt for Indians and their lack of ‘character’ that they refused to Indianise
- Shareholder's Dissatisfaction at Satyam's Board
Actions trying to benefit the promoters
- Chick Lit
I still have trouble accepting the term 'chick' to describe me or any woman I know.
- Moral Absolutes
What is the basis for the moral absolutes on which a sense of justice depends?
- Poessay: Rosary 21: KhamOshi - Wordless
silence, gestures and words are communication tools
- My Name is Prerna and I am an Undocumented American
There are many undocumented Desi students in the closet. Let's come together to bring them out of the shadows.
- Defending Kasab
Shockingly, the Indian media is also unaware of the fact that the accused in our country are given legal rights.
- Going Slow on Highways Development
Unfortunately, this is not the only case where the Congress Government interferes with institutions.
- 19 Varieties of Gazelle: Poems of the Middle East by Naomi Shihab Nye
The tapestry of inheritance of the East is laced with tales quite unknown in the West.
- A Different World Part I : A Travelogue of Sorts
She understood, smiled and let us go. Simple as that!
- Mumbai Musings And Talking Terrorism
While questions, allegations continue, I believe that in the end it boils down to personal responsibility...the buck begins and stops with us all.
- UPA Government and Mumbai: Election Posturing or Statesmanship?
My opinion is that the current congress government is just posturing. They are incapable of doing anything
- What’s to be Done With Kasab?
How do you fight an ideology?
- Hitting the Summit
It is this aspect that has to be embraced by any team which wants to be number 1.
- Poessay: Rosary 22 - A Simple Poem
the moving finger writes and having writ...
- Pakistan Can't Bleed Us to Death With a Thousand Cuts
Safety and security is inherently not a priority of the Indian population. The aam aadmi just doesn't give a hoot for safety - economic, civic
- Movie Review: Ghajini
Directors remaking their own films is not a new phenomenon.
- Satire: Animal Farm Too
After much deliberation and rumination she spoke weighing each word with her thick-fat tongue.
- The Trap Terrorists Have Laid For India and Pakistan
India and Pakistan have fallen in the trap laid by the terrorists
- The Storyteller And His Audience
Why does this happen in India, this trashing of our art forms until they become a pathetic mockery of themselves?
- Arnab Goswami on Times Now
Arnab goes overboard with Pakistani guests, unnecessarily
- Israel Attacks Gaza: Over 200 Killed
Is Israel providing a model for India to follow in the wake of Mumbai?
- Moral Absolutes - A Concrete Illustration
A simple story that raises some interesting moral questions.
- Congo Connection - 3
General Laurent Nkunda says 'I want people like you with me who understand the heart of Congo'
- Gaza Is Aflame. Again!
How can keeping food and medicine from the people of Gaza protect the people of Israel?
- Action Sociology: Human Rights with Sanitation
Pathakji has transcended anger and hatred to make a difference, a big difference, through social entrepreneurship.
- Raj Thackeray Creeping Out
If I were Raj, I would ask every MNS member to offer their services to the GoI in some way
- Israel & Palestine: Force Is Never the Solution
The point neoconzix in Israel and the West refuse to fathom: force is never the solution.
- What Israel Won't Tell You
A behind the scenes story of how Israel had stealthily prepared for the Gaza strikes almost six months ago, even as a ceasefire was being
- Skeletons in the Closet
India's parallel economy makes it vulnerable to terrorist attacks
- A Different World Part II: Zina ul Haq's Debauchery
The denial of one's roots and ersatz emphasis on an alien culture led to an influx of mental and sexual depravity.
- Movie Review: Gh-aaa-jini - The Tale in 15 Minutes
And then he goes on a killing spree to get to bad guy, rebooting every 15 minutes like an old laptop with an irritating virus.
- Please let the Baath Party Survive
The Baath party is the only pan-Arab nationalist party in the world. Disbanding it was a grave mistake.
- Is Terrorism a Vice born out of Patriotic Virtues?
The benignity of patriotism could easily be converted into malignant terrorism, by stoking emotions.
- Awaking a Sleeping Man
Is it little wonder that Pakistan repeatedly spouts its "Baseless" remarks, and runs hoops around our government, while asking for"evidence"?
- Manjit Bawa Passes Away
One of the first painters to break out of the dominant grays and browns of the western art and opt for more Indian colours
- Book Review: Vishnu’s Crowded Temple: India Since the Great Rebellion by Maria Misra
Misra's second book explains India’s peculiar form of modernity, one which is a mix of so many contradictions.
- Poessay: I'm Not Dev Das and You're Not Anarkali
said the bluebird to the bulbul / the simpleton is unaware / and the curmudgeon unconcerned / love has been cremated / in hiroshima
- Pope Benedict XVI - Homo-Sensitive?
What is it that causes homosexuality to stand out like a beacon to an 81 year old among all the ills afflicting the world?
« November, 2008 || January, 2009 »
- A Cancer Researcher At The Scene